By Harry ! Last Updated on July 01, 2020
Do you plan to have the exterior of your home anytime soon? Well, an airless paint sprayer will do the trick for you and can be a great option for good results. In this article, I am going to talk about you can get to paint the exterior of your house with the use of an airless paint sprayer.
I will cover all the essential equipment and tools that you require to make this exercise successful. Thereafter, I will also review all the steps that you will need to take in painting the exterior of your home using the airless paint sprayer. This process should be observed step by step and should be systematic.
The ultimate aim of painting the outside of your house while using the airless paint sprayer should be to make the house look amazing. This article will simplify most of the work for you.
Tools and items Required for The Job
- An airless paint sprayer
- Paint or stain
- Two spray tips i.e. one with a pattern of spray that is wider to cover the large surface area and another with a narrow tip to cover small surface areas.
- Two empty buckets - one for holding the paint that will be used in cleaning and the other for clean-up use.
- Long sticks for stirring the paint
- Plastic sheeting, tarps or drop cloths
- Masking tape or painter’s tape
- Small paintbrushes for the touch-up exercise
- A ladder for accessing hard to reach areas. An extender for the airless sprayer can also be of great help
- Rags and small supplies for clean-up such as nylon brushes
- Equipment for safety and protection such as goggles, face mask or respirator, and a head cover.
Preparation for exterior painting
The following are some of the steps you should take in preparing to paint the exterior of your house using the airless paint sprayer;
1. Even before you start the painting exercise, you should make sure that you have moved all the furniture on the outside and any other equipment that may be in the area to be painted. This is important as it will provide enough room for all your equipment and tools required for the painting exercise.
For all the surfaces that will not be painted, you should use the masking or painter’s tape to cover them. This includes the windows and shrubs. Also, remember to tape off any trims in the exterior.
2. Next, you should wash the whole of the exterior surface of your house. This can be done by the use of a pressure washer and a cleaning solution. The washing should include even the eaves or soffits that will be painted. After the washing exercise, you should allow some time for the exterior to dry completely.
3. You should also get rid of all the dirt and mold on the exterior as well as do a scraping off the peeling paint.
4. During the preparation, you should also perform some repairs on any siding, trim or soffit that is damaged. All the loose nails should be taken care of and sanding should be done on any rough surface or gaps in the exterior.
5. Finally, you should organize a proper set up for the job ahead. You should make you have got enough space to work and have the tarps laid down to cover the grass or ground around the exterior of your house.
All your tools and equipment should be well organized in a manner that you have quick access to them and have knowledge of where everything is. You can also mix the paint to avoid any mess and spilling while you are working. At this point, you should also put on your safety gear.
The Exterior Paint Spraying
Now, this is the main part of the whole exercise and you should do it carefully to obtain the desired results. The following are some of the steps you should follow;
A. Before you start the painting exercise, you should choose a spray tip that matches perfectly with the kind of paint you are using as well as the surface that needs to be sprayed. You should make sure that the size of the tip’s hole does not surpass the maximum limit of the sprayer you are using.
In a case where you are using paint from many containers, have it mixed in an empty container with a capacity of 5-gallons to make sure that there is a consistency in the color even though small color differences are notable between the paint cans.
B. If you have never done the spraying exercise before be assured that the first few sprays might not be perfect as expected. Therefore, when starting, you should at least select a flat surface of the exterior such as the area of your house that is not much visible. Do not begin spraying from the front of your house or any other area that is more visible.
Start the spraying job from the top of the surface and go all the way downwards and spray all the eaves and undersides that may be present. The direction you will take while spraying will mainly depend on the construction of your house. You should make sure you are using the correct tip for the sprayer’s application. The tip of the air sprayer should be kept at least 12 inches from the surface that is being sprayed.
C. While painting the eaves of your house, you must use a tip extension as this will allow you to get to hard-to-reach areas in a safer way. You should work on the sections of your house that you can reach comfortably and spray the outer edges first. For the inside corners of your house, you should direct the air sprayer’s tip into the corner to have the spray fan overlapping both sides.
D. After completing the spraying of the eaves, you should now spray the exterior walls. You should first cut in around the windows and doors before spraying the other flat areas. You should overlap your spray passes by 50%. When using the spray gun, you can paint from the top downwards.
Move the airless paint sprayer horizontally from one direction to the other while following the downward pattern. Sometimes the paint trickles down but with the use of even strokes, these imperfections get covered. For items on the exterior with a specific pattern such as wood beams, you should spray while following the pattern of that particular object. Make use of the small brushes to perform the touch-ups for a perfect finish.
The Cleaning Up
This is the final step of this exercise of painting the exterior with an airless paint sprayer.
1. After the painting exercise is finished, you should give the paint enough time to dry before removing the tapes from the trim. This will ensure that you get lines that are clean and crisp
2. You should take out all the covers from the bushes and shrubs around your house. Get rid of all the tapes and coverings that are on the windows and door trim.
3. The next action should be replacing the hardware that you removed before painting. This will include the lighting, shutters, and fixtures on the house.
4. When cleaning your airless paint sprayer, you should follow the instructions that are contained in the user manual. You can use water-based materials to clean it or apply the bucket method of cleaning. Cleaning of the airless paint sprayer should be done after every use.
5. Finally, return all the other items such as the outdoor furniture to their normal place and arrange them properly.
Important safety tips when using the Airless paint sprayer
- Always remember to keep the trigger of your airless paint sprayer locked and be keen to follow the pressure relief procedure each time you stop the spraying, before installing the tips and before cleaning too.
- You should never put your hand across the sprayer tip if the airless paint sprayer is not off and depressurized. This is because very hazardous paint can be sprayed on your skin.
- You should always wear safety equipment such as glasses and a respiratory mask when you are spraying using the airless paint sprayer.
- Always remember to work in an area that is well ventilated to prevent breathing problems.
Using an airless paint sprayer when painting the exterior of your house has many benefits. The most notable one is how the airless paint sprayer simplifies the painting job by speeding it up even when it requires many gallons of paint. The final result is also very great as it leaves a smooth and flawless finish on the exterior of your house.
It tends to save a lot of time for you when painting even a big house. The above guideline provides a step by step procedure on how you can make the exterior painting of your house to go on perfectly well. I hope it can be of great help to you as you plan to paint the exterior of your house.